Written By : Bakhtiar Hakeem
- As the title says, no comments so let me start with Captain Liddell Hart’s Standard pattern of self-made Despotic Rulers with out any preamble. He goes on to list: -
- They exploit state of popular dissatisfaction with the existing regime.
- Make unlimited promises, never to be fulfilled.
- Claim absolute power for a short time, which never expires.
- Frighten public with external and internal dangers. Create demons where none exists.
- Get rid of chief helpers.
- Suppress criticism.
- Enlist support of clergy. Foster a new religion.
- Spend public money lavishly on grandiose projects as a compensation for the freedom of thought and spirit.
- Create and then claim to destroy the enemies of state, just to direct the attention form internal conditions.
- Float slogans as means of riveting the chains of personal authority.
- Expand the superstructure of the state while undermining its foundations.
- Bread sycophants at the expanse of self-respecting and principled citizens. Float ideas not connected with ground realities.
- Liddell Hart concludes; thus ensuring the ultimate collapse under their successor if not in their own stint.
- Why should I spoil the curry by my comments? I should close the eyes, if not completely then half at least.