Civilizations are known for their arts and crafts, their welfare management and their industrial, social and spiritual dynamism. Their in-depth studies reveal their excellence in education. In later history, all the advanced countries of the world have reached their stage using education as the main vehicle for progress.
Education is the quintessence of a nation’s value in stature, progress, and the promise and projection of its future. To ensure, safeguard and guarantee a stable, dynamic and healthy future of a nation, education must be accorded its deserved and required top priority, not only for the current or next year’s plan, but in consummate permanence. Education, and thence education system, must reflect the aim and aspirations of the nation to continuous fulfillment. Therefore, it is essential that we must elucidate in clear direction, the aim of our National Education Policy.
The Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H) has exhorted us to gain knowledge -- even if we have to go to China. Obviously in China he did not expect us to learn the Sipara, but to gain worldly knowledge and wisdom and the ever increasing scientific and technical knowledge.
Aim. The national educational policy should aim to produce, in every individual, a good Muslim, a good human being, a good Pakistani and useful productive member of society. It should meet and feed all national requirements in all technical, executive and administrative fields. It should also be honed to capture international markets progressively, aiming to export a capable force to gain economic, political as well as socio-cultural advantage for the nation. Above all, the National Educational Policy must forge national unity, national pride and promote an enlightened, self-confident populace.
Having identified and enunciated our educational aim, we must garner all our efforts and resources to achieving its various facets. With sincerity, the pieces of jigsaw puzzle with fall in place. However, some recommendations can provide a guideline and impetus.
Education should cover the total up-bringing and development of the individual – ranging from the study and understanding the Quran to sciences, and humanities.
- Technical and vocational training should run alongside academic education to produce blue collar workers in all fields and levels. This should be constantly updated to match modern trends.
- Market dynamics must be constantly monitored and used to guide production of required skills in proficiency and quantum.
- Train person to be able to run their own small businesses, technical or otherwise, to be able to earn honest livings.
- Stress should be on skilled workers in subjects like accounts, math’s, administration, marketing etc.
- Produce the required no of qualified individuals for own, as well as requirements abroad. Avoid surpluses to avoid frustrations at a later stage.
- Along with continuous market survey, constant student counseling should be organized for productive guidance.
- Great stress be laid on sports for healthy mental and physical development and good discipline. Every locality in cities, and small town must have a sports ground wherein there should be a tournament every month. Every educational institute should have facilities of a playground.
Teachers. To offset the financial constraints, teachers must be given respect and regard by parents, elders, all government employs etc – be it police, bureaucrat or shopkeeper. That will go a long way in their motivation, and improving attitude of the students.
All schools should be given maximum concessions and facilities, to encourage their expansion and improved performance.
Functional English must be stressed so that all our students gain confidence and find better jobs at home and abroad.
Stress on female education. This will improve moral and social ethics, develop strong family ties, and change the total outlook on need for education. It is the educated mother that forges a people into a nation.
Mass education and functional understanding i.e. reading; be encouraged to improve awareness in masses through reading / following media. Finally, population growth must be controlled. No matter how much the government spends, if the parents breed like rabbits, their babies will have to live in holes in the mud.
We Pakistanis wish to hold our heads high with dignity and respect in the comity of nation. Allah requires this of us. The Holy Prophet (PBUH) wished this of us. The Quran shows us the way.
To achieve all these, we have only three options:-