POST MEETING REPORT 106th FIRST MONTHLY SEMINAR 2018-19 29 April 2018
1. General. Thinkers Forum Pakistan enters its 12th year of life. All what has come to be shall end. It is Allah’s injunction. 55:26 Quran; “Everyone that is thereon will pass away”, M M Pickthall; A Y Ali translates, “All that is on earth shall perish.” So shall TFP come to an end one day. But is that important? Not the least, in my opinion. What did we live for; that is what is important? He shall reward, what one strives for. Think of those 72 who were ready to fight one thousand strong. What could have been the logical end? Exactly the way any one going by quantitative research or ‘realist’ in approach would have forecasted. 1000 overpowered, defeated and killed those 72. Yes, the ground realities maniac; should feel justified. 72 won for the value, they stood for. TFP stands for Better Pakistan. This purpose is served and achieved; by whatever proportion; by what we strive to generate, yield and deliver or contribute for Pakistan. This is PMR number 106th coming your way.
2. Just in last four or five days, seven members of TFP contributed to generate Rs.135, 000 to join dry rations scheme of SAP. It is a yearly feature before the onset of Ramazan, for the poorer and less privileged section of society. Rs. 50, 000 has been sent for AMS by Gen Javeed Iqbal, for AMS, yesterday. This is our educational scholarship scheme. I have upgraded the AMS scholarship for Ranra School, Swabi; by Rs. 1,000. Col Abid Shah has upgraded his School to run next higher class. Kidney patients (Dialysis) are now being nourished by protein rich supplement at the end of each dialysis. A course mate of mine, gave Rs.50, 000 for PKPA and another Rs. 20,000 for all the sick (approximately 300 pm) I visit. A lady wife of one of my course mate has committed Rs. 20, 000 for the kidney patients; just yesterday. O’ Allah, we seek your mercy thru these petty acts of benevolence. May you help us make this Pakistan a better Pakistan.
3. April 2018, was the 1 MS for the current year, 2018-19. Topic for the month was Fasting and Taqwa, and our worthy scholar was Air Cdre Zafar I Mir.
4. The Event Layout. The order was as follows: -
By the Secretary GeneralRecitation of Holy Quran, recitation and the translation.
- Welcome and the Opening Note.
- Business of the Forum.
- The Talk cum Discussion, Fasting and Taqwa, by Air Cdre Z I Mir.
- Conclusion and Award of Certificate of Merit. Lt Gen Naeem K Lodhi. .
5. Recitation from Holy Quran and its Meanings. Two Ayahs, 183 & 184 of Sura Baqra were recited and their translation, both in Urdu and English was read out.
2: 183-84. O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you, even as it was prescribed for those before you, that ye may ward off evil;184. (Fast) a certain number of days; and (for) him who is sick among you, or on a journey, (the same) number of other days; and for those who can afford it there is a ransom: the feeding of a man in need. But whoso doeth good of his own accord, it is better for him: and that ye fast is better for you if ye did but know.
Translation by M Pikthall
6. Welcome Note and the Opening Words. The audience were warmly welcomed and thanked. Secy General reiterated that we were here for the cause and vision of ‘Better Pakistan’. At this point of time in our history we are badly dissected and in a state of low national moral. All living icons and symbols of national unity, state and government and the representatives of people are being blamed, ridiculed and insulted, on one account or the other. This trend set in in 2014. There is a hue and cry of judicial activism. I dare ask, the Hon CJ of Pakistan, 24 Jan Imran Ali the rapist and the killer of Zainab was caught and later sentenced to four times death. Has he been hanged? 460 persons were alleged in PANAMA PAPERS case. After the lapse of two years has anyone been convicted and punished? After every visit of yours, may it be any department; all forms of media is using a term; that CJ ‘scolded’, or gave a ‘dressing’; in Urdu ‘Barham’. Is this the job of a Justice, will it yield positive result? Should a culprit not be punished after due process of the litigation, under the law? Is scolding mentioned as sentence, for any crime?
7. Business of the Forum. Three subjects were touched upon. These were as follows:
- AMS Report. Audience were briefed and updated on total amount received, disbursed in the last one month, and the students selected as AMS beneficiaries. The statement of acct is at Annex B.
- Annual Subs. The figures were submitted; 56, 500 were received and 162, 300 still outstanding. The issue was discussed in detail. Secy Gen proposed to drop the membership who have not paid for last three years. Chairman made an offer for such bad debtors’. If such members wish to continue as a member, Forum may condone the past debt and they can take a fresh start. Forum would like you to continue, please. This offer will be closed by 31st May. Honorable members please take due notice. Annex C.
- The progress on Dry Ration scheme was given. The final figures have now been given above; para 2.0 ante refers.
8. The Talk, ‘Fasting and Taqwa’, by Air Cdre Zafar Iqbl Mir. The year 2018-19 began with this topic, with relevance to the holy month of Ramadan. The audience took keen interest in the subject. Dr. Murtaza Mughal added valuable information, and answered the questions in general. The script of the Talk is attached as Annex A to this PMR.
9. Accounts Sharing of Monthly State of Accounts is a special feature of TFP. Two statements of account were circulated every time. It has helped a great deal in transparency of income and expenditures.
10. Conclusion Gen Lodhi, aptly appreciated the efforts of learned speaker and concluded the evening. He thanked all the participants judiciously. Chairman awarded Air Cdre Zafar Iqbal Mir with Certificate of Merit.
Annexes (enclosed primarily for those are not in e-group and who did not attend)
- Script of the Talk, ‘Fasting and Taqwa,’ by Air Cdre ZI Mir.
- AMS Report
- Annual Subscription
- Monthly Statement of Accounts TFP Trust.