POST MEETING REPORT FIRST MONTHLY SEMINAR 2016-17 1 MAY 2016
TFP entered its Tenth Year. May Allah be praised. 1 May, we met at H Cube Plaza off GT Rd, Phase II, for 1st MS. Dr. Shafqat Farooq was the learned speaker at the occasion. Inclusion of Kalam e Iqbal, sung by Mr. Naeem Tariq and supported by music was the new feature.
- General. With a deep sense of satisfaction and a resolve for future, TFP entered its Tenth Year. May Allah be praised. 1 May, we met at H Cube Plaza off GT Rd, Phase II, for 1st MS. Dr. Shafqat Farooq was the learned speaker at the occasion. Inclusion of Kalam e Iqbal, sung by Mr. Naeem Tariq and supported by music was the new feature
1.1 The Event Layout. The proceedings for the evening were as follows:
1.1.1 Recitation of Holy Quran, explanation of the meanings and its relevance to us. Secy Gen enjoyed the honor.
1.1.2 Welcome and the Opening note by the Secy Gen.
1.1.3 Business of the Forum, by the Secy Gen.
1.1.4 The Talk, Why we are left behind Korea? The role of science, technology & innovation policies, by Dr. Shafqat Farooq.
1.1.5 Kalam e Iqbal played and sung by Mr. Tariq Naeem
1.1.6 Conclusion & Award of Certificate of Merit. Chairman TFP, Gen Lodhi.
2 Recitation from Holy Quran and its Meanings. Meanings of 44:38-39, and 45: 12-13 were presented, in Urdu and displayed in English. Please find the Urdu translation below
1- ۔ ا ور ہم نے نہ بنائے آسمان اور زمین اور جو کچھ ان کے درمیان ہے کھیل کے طور پر (38)
2 - ۔ ہم نے انہیں نہ بنایا مگر حق کے ساتھ لیکن ان میں اکثر جانتے نہیں . ) 39 ( الدخان
3 - ۔ اللّٰہ ہے جس نے تمہارے بس میں دریا کردیا کہ اس میں اس کے حکم سے کَشتیاں چلیں
اور اس لئے کہ اس کا فضل تلاش کرو ۔ اور اس لئے کہ حق مانو ۔ (12)
4 ۔ اور تمہارے لئے کام میں لگائے جو کچھ آسمانوں میں ہیں اور جو کچھ زمین میں اپنے حکم سے
بے شک اس میں نشانیاں ہیں سوچنے والوں کے لئے۔ (13) الجاثیہ
3. Welcome Note and the Opening Words. Secy Gen said, “It is indeed pleasure to see you all here. I welcome you, ladies and gentlemen on behalf of the Chairman TFP, Gen Naeem Khalid Lodhi, and on my own behalf as Secy General. You are here for ‘Better Pakistan’, the vision of TFP. We value your time and efforts being spared for this noble cause.” Secy Gen deliberated on the fact that TFP has entered 10th Year. Referring to the Editor’s Note of Issue 33 of BM, he invited the attention of worthy and learned readers to the summary of the past year. Then the new audience was invited to introduce themselves. Here are their names below. This Report will be sent to all, directly or indirectly. I invite you to join TFP, and send me your introduction.
3.1 Brig Rafique
3.2 Col Sher Muhammad
3.3 Col Riaz
3.4 Col Murtaza
3.5 Mr. Zahid Gul Khattak
3.6 Col Mushtaq,
3.7 Mrs. Huma Mushtaq, and
3.8 Mr. Hassan
Some of the senior members, who have appeared before many a times were also asked to give their introduction. The Forum appreciates the spirit.
4. Business of the Forum. Four points were covered, these were:
4.1 Sbm Lib. Two files were on display showing New Arrivals and Content List Service (CLS). Slides were also displayed to show this data/info. Nine books had been added in the Month. Chairman eulogized the good work of Ms. Shaista Kanwal, the Librarian. Annex B.
1.1 AMS.There are 25 AMS beneficiaries in 7 different institutions, as of now. 33 students have been the beneficiaries, for full term of certificate/degree or some period of time in the past. I had especially invited Ms. Madeeha Syed; our one out of the two SB of AMS. She has been regularly and successfully returning the amount of her educational scholarship. For details see Annex C.
1.2 Annual Subs. New year has ensued; major part of annual subs is collected at the AGM, held in March every year. A huge amount is shown as dues. Please pay your dues. Details at Annex D.
1.3 Monthly statement of acct. Annex E; apprised thru circulation, at the MS.
2. Talk, ‘Why we are left behind Korea: Dr Shafqat is on the Board of Governors of TFP. The learned speaker set the course of Year to start with a trend setter presentation. It was a history of world regimes starting in 1948 with Brent Wood, safe-guarding the interests of USA, thru GATT, and later thru WTO, IMF and WB. It gave details of policies regulating, patent registration, and investment in science and technology. It gave a detailed insight to the history of developing and third world, with reference to their areas of excellence and the ratio of GDP spent on S&T. A brief is placed at Annex A, however wait for the next Issue to read the full article elucidated thru tables, graphs and illustrations.
3. Q&A. An absorbing session of Q&A and Comments followed the talk. Six of learned audience added to the richness of the MS.
4. Conclusion. Gen Lodhi concluded the session with judicious appreciation for the learned speaker and the audience. At the end he presented certificate of merit to the learned speaker
Annexes (enclosed primarily for those are not in e-group and who did not attend)
- Talk, ‘Why we are left behind Korea? by Dr. Shafqat Farooq.
- SBM Lib
- State of Annual Subs
- Statement of Monthly Accts